Transforming School Climate to Exceed LCAP Expectations
- October 14, 2015 - October 21, 2015
October 14, 8:30am-3:30pm PST:
Executive Inn and Suites
Oakland, CA 94606
October 21, 8:30am-3:30pm PST:
Wyndham Anaheim Garden Grove
12021 Harbor Blvd.
Garden Grove, CA 92840
This day long free interactive event will focus on improving school climate through Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAP). The event is being hosted by the School Climate Alliance at REL West. District and county office leaders will hear about the latest research and explore strategies for improving school climate within the context of LCAP priority areas.
The event is occurring in Oakland, CA on October 14, 2015 and again in Anaheim, CA on October 21, 2015. Morning coffee, lunch, and snacks will be provided. Parking is free for all attendees.
To prepare for successful implementation of LCAP school climate-related activities, participants will:
- Learn about the characteristics of a strong and supportive school climate and the relationship to student outcomes;
- Explore implementation and monitoring of promising practices related to strengthening school climate; and
- Gain new ideas for improving school climate through discussion with presenters and peers.
Participants will have multiple opportunities to learn about evidence-based school climate strategies and consider their application their schools or districts. An afternoon round table session will allow for participants to share successes, challenges, and lessons learned from their improvement efforts.
Speakers will include:
- Kerry Callahan, Assistant Superintendent of Education Services, Western Placer Unified School District
- Ian Guidera, Chief Schools Officer, Partnership for Los Angeles Schools
- Thomas Hanson, Senior Research Associate, REL West at WestEd
- Jeanne Herrick, Associate Superintendent of Educational Services, Alisal Union School District (Oakland event)
- Jannelle Kubinec, Director, Comprehensive School Assistance Program at WestEd
- Rick Martin, Director of Curriculum, Learning, Assessment and Accountability, Orange County Department of Education (Anaheim event)
- Sonia Rodarte Llamas, Director of School Climate, Santa Ana Unified School District (Anaheim event)
- Darrick Smith, Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership, University of San Francisco
- Doreen Lohnes, Assistant Superintendent Support Services, Santa Ana Unified School District (Oakland event)
- Nellie Meyer, Superintendent, Mt. Diablo Unified School District (Oakland event)
For more information please contact Rebeca Cerna at email@example.com